Monday, October 18, 2010

St. Lucia's Darren Sammy to Lead West Indies


St Lucia’s first representative on the West Indies Cricket Team has inherited the mantle from Chris Gayle. Gayle was replaces as West Indies captain and replaced by all-rounder Darren Sammy. Gayle held the captaincy from 2007. Sammy joined the West Indies team in 2004. Since then, the Mon Repos resident has emerged as one of the fastest improving players in the squad. 26-year-old Sammy has appeared in eight Tests, 43 one-day internationals and 19 Twenty20 internationals.
In a BBC news report, WICB chief executive Dr Ernest Hilaire said: “Chris Gayle, the former captain, led the West Indies during a challenging period and the board thanks him for stepping up then. But it is now time to pass the mantle on as the West Indies rebuilds.” Selection committee chairman Clyde Butts said: “We are at the dawn of a new era in West Indies cricket and we have entrusted the challenging job of captaincy to Darren Sammy because it is believed that he has demonstrated the attributes of a leader of this diverse group of men.” In the same WICB statement, Sammy said: “Being appointed West Indies captain is an honour and distinction which I will treat with the highest regard and dignity. “I believe my captaincy of the Windward Islands, a young team which I have been moulding into playing consistently competitive cricket, will stand me in good stead as West Indies captain as we work on building a team for the future. I have always given my all when I prepare and play for the West Indies and nothing will change now. I know this will be a difficult challenge and I will take the torch from Chris and hold it high as we forge ahead. “I have been playing for the West Indies since 2004 and over those six years I have built strong relationships with many players and I expect to have the full support of the squad.”
The current squad comprises Darren Sammy (capt), Brendan Nash (vice-capt), Chris Gayle, Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh Jr (wkt), Sulieman Benn, Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Nelon Pascal, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Shane Shillingford, Devon Smith, Devon Thomas (wkt). --St. Lucia Star

No comments:

Post a Comment